Today I had to find just that one record that was causing a bulk insert to fail.The file that was being loaded, was 1.2GB in size or approx 7M rows.
In order to handle that kind of file, I decided to break it up into smaller pieces.
A sound divide and conquer plan was devised, at every step, dividing the file with the bad record(s) in two, until the files were of a such size, that it would be feasible to go through them by hand.
To accomplish this, I wrote a little tool in C#, that takes a file, which needs to be row-delimited by carriage return ‘/r/n’. A setting allows the user to control how many parts the files is be split into. And that is pretty much it. The files are named the same as the original file, only a number is appended, to tell them apart.
The difference to existing tools is, that this tool splits the file, not in the middle of a record, but with a nice clean cut between rows.
Download the VS2010 project here: DataSplitter
There is no fancy features involved, no multi threading or any of that C# glamour stuff. So don’t get your hopes up high in regards to flashy performance.
If you think the tool is missing key functionality, please let me know.
Today I noticed that the search filter of Visual Studio 2010 didn’t behave as I expected.
I would have thought that if given a filter, this would be respected. But somehow VS2010 knows better or… I don’t know. Anyhow, here’s a screendump of what I found:
The other day I was testing various charting components, including XCeed, Nevron and DevExpress. All components really looked nice in regards to API, Layout and Look N Feel.
I have run several tests on all three components, and have a hard time deciding which one to choose for our project (if any of the three).
Today I hit a strange behaviour with the DevExpress trial installation. While I was adding a class in VS2010, by right clicking and choosing ‘add class’ I got a lot more than just a class.
In fact the DevExpress trial package deemed it necessary to add a reference to every DevExpress library in the current project, see image:
The fact that the project is a businesslayer makes matters worse…
I think DevExpress has some fixing to do 🙂
This seems to have been caused by what I call a “Monday Computer”.
I havent been able to reproduce the bug, except for the day it occurred. DevExpress has been very willing to help and very alert, through especially Mehul Harry and Seth Juarez